Inspired by the fantasy world depicted in Helmut Newton’s fashion photography, I picked up a camera at 17 and thus began my journey as a fashion photographer. I graduated from Art Center College of Design in January 1987 and embarked on a career that brought me to many new cities and countries and introduced me to an amazing assortment of interesting people.Fashion Photography is all I have ever done as a career. It has become part of my identity and is such a vital part of me that it has become a part of my greater Self. There are times I question it. I grow tired of the exploitation of our industry’s use of the terms, “beauty”, “perfection”, and “youth”. Yet I cannot seem to leave fashion photography for it is so ingrained in me that it would be like killing part of myself. It cannot be done without taking the whole of me down with it. So I remain behind the camera, capturing the spirit of a scene, capturing the way a garment will fall on a model’s frame, and locking in that precise moment that either makes or breaks the perfect image.This blog is presented for two different reasons. First, I aim to educate those photographers who are looking for inside instruction on lighting, directing and casting. I have tutorials that will take the viewer with me on fashion shoots where I will discuss topics from directing hair and make up artists to showing you, the viewer, how to create an edge light. I will continually write blogs on techniques ranging from background lighting to shooting editorial vs. commercial. The subject matter is vast and I intend to cover as much as I can. The second reason I am writing this blog is to give the reader an inside peek of the lifestyle of a fashion photographer. Is it as glamorous as the media depicts? I will let you be the judge.i welcome you to my world, a Los Angeles fashion photographer with over 21 years experience and at least that many years left in me in image making. This blog is for all of you: amateur, student, professional, gossip monger, groupie, fashionista and just simply fan. Enjoy!